Trends and Challenges in Customs:
- Unnecessary and burdensome barriers to trade can cost companies and national economies billions of dollars.
- Global convergence and modernization of customs practices are necessary for efficient supply chains.
- The World Trade Organization (WTO) Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) promises to streamline customs processes and procedures, provide increased transparency and predictability and speed the movement of goods across borders around the globe.
- Represent USCIB members at World Customs Organization (WCO) Harmonized System (HSC) meetings.
- Advocate for robust implementation of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA), the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act (Customs Reauthorization, H.R. 644) (e.g., forced labor, duty drawback)
- Advance thoughtful consensus, member supported, comments on such key issues as FTA Customs and Trade Facilitation provisions, forced labor, domestic and international e-commerce efforts (e.g., WCO Framework) often that take into consideration potential implementation issues or unintended consequences on
- Represent our members in efforts to secure global classification of products at WCO.
- Advocate for business on issues such as forced labor, TFTEA implementation, and more.
- Meet with U.S. government officials to ensure that U.S. business interests are well reflected, particularly at Commerce, DHS, CBP and USTR.
- Known for deep technical, subject-matter knowledge on customs and trade facilitation matters.
- Promote the reduction of trade barriers and transaction costs at the border, as well as in customs control practices and advocates for the harmonization of global customs procedures by leveraging various fora and government agencies.
Magnifying Your Voice with USCIB:
- USCIB is the only U.S. business association formally affiliated with the world’s three largest business organizations where we work with business leaders across the globe to extend our reach to influence policymakers in key international markets to American business
- Build consensus with like-minded industry peers and participate in off-the-record briefings with policymakers both home and abroad.
Op-Eds and Speeches