Carnet Usage: Departing the U.S.

Departing the US  |  Entering a Country  | Departing a CountryRe-Entering the US
Transiting a Country  | Upon Return | Advisories  |  Glossary


  1. For initial departure, the Holder or authorized representative must first sign the green cover.   U.S. Customs must validate the green cover and a yellow exportation certificate to activate the Carnet for its first use.  Foreign customs may deny entry of goods under a Carnet if neither the green cover nor the exportation certificate is validated by U.S. Customs.
  2. Use a yellow exportation certificate (for initial departure, use No.1). Complete Sections D-F.  Indicate only those item numbers that are leaving the U.S. in Section F(a) on the voucher.
  3. Sign and date the voucher
  4. Present the Carnet to U.S. Customs.
  5. U.S. Customs should indicate only those item numbers leaving the U.S. in Section (1) of the counterfoil.  It is the Holder’s responsibility to ensure that U.S. Customs has indicated the correct item numbers on the counterfoil especially in a partial or split shipment.
  6. U.S. Customs will then validate both the counterfoil and voucher, but may not detach the voucher. If not detached, the voucher should remain with the Carnet. (The items listed in Section F(a) and those on the copy of the General List attached to the back of the certificate should match.)

Staff Contact:   Anna Zhang

Senior Carnet and Claims Advisor
Tel: 212.703.5075

Anna Zhang supervises both foreign and U.S. Customs Carnet claims as well as payments to member countries of the ATA Carnet system. She has also worked extensively on expanding the Carnet system to China and other East Asian countries. Zhang has been affiliated with USCIB’s Carnet service since 1988, prior to which time she held positions with Svenska Handelsbanken, Boeing a nd Commerzbank.
Read More

Related Content