Carnet Usage: Re-Entering the U.S.

Departing the US | Entering a Country | Departing a Country | Re-Entering the US
Transiting a Country | Upon Return | Know Before You Go | Glossary


Sec.148.11 of the U.S. Customs Regulations states “All articles brought into the United States by any individual shall be declared to a Customs officer at the port of first arrival…”

  1. Present the Carnet to customs at the time of re-entry.
  2. Use the yellow re-importation counterfoil bearing the same number as the yellow exportation counterfoil used at the time of departure.
  3. U.S. Customs inspector must clearly indicate those item numbers re-entering in Section 1 of the counterfoil and indicate the corresponding exportation counterfoil number in the second part, Section 1. Customs will then validate the counterfoil. (U.S. Customs should allow the goods to re-enter the U.S. even if the Carnet has expired.  The expiration date only limits entry into foreign countries.)
  4. MOST IMPORTANT:  Upon returning to the U.S., the re-importation counterfoil must be validated by U.S. Customs. This is the last line of defense in cancelling a Carnet or settling a claim without payment of duties and taxes, though regularization fees may apply.

Staff Contact:   Anna Zhang

Senior Carnet and Claims Advisor
Tel: 212.703.5075

Anna Zhang supervises both foreign and U.S. Customs Carnet claims as well as payments to member countries of the ATA Carnet system. She has also worked extensively on expanding the Carnet system to China and other East Asian countries. Zhang has been affiliated with USCIB’s Carnet service since 1988, prior to which time she held positions with Svenska Handelsbanken, Boeing a nd Commerzbank.
Read More

Related Content