- This event has passed.
Inclusive Multilateralism, A Business Townhall at UNGA76
September 20 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Sponsored by: United States Council for International Business (USCIB) with International Organization of Employers (IOE) and Business at OECD (BIAC)
Business Makes it Happen – Priorities for a Sustainable Future
Executive Summary: The UN General Assembly convenes its 76th session at a time of multiple challenges, which are putting the multilateral system to the test and raising questions about the resilience of the UN and such basic values of democracy, rule of law and inclusive societies.
This is clear in the highlighted priority themes of UNGA76:
- Strengthening the UN and international cooperation (recalling the recommendations of UNGA75 for meaningful inclusive multilateralism)
- Ongoing collective response to the pandemic and its social and economic impacts
- Accelerating climate change action (looking ahead to COP26)
- Protecting the rights of people in workplaces and supply chains, highlighting diversity and inclusion
Through USCIB, leading U.S. companies have stepped up in these areas, partnering with global business groups, governmental bodies and other non-governmental stakeholders. As the international community looks to turn the corner in the coming year, how has the role of business evolved and delivered real impact in these areas, working with the UN? What is the business vision for a better new normal catalyzed through international cooperation?
This session will:
- suggest innovative public-private partnerships and frameworks that have already demonstrated success,
- recommend ways to ramp up and multiple such approaches to deliver the SDGs via inclusive sustainable economic growth,
- underscore new ways for the international community to anticipate and respond to challenges, working with the private sector.
Objective: Highlight the role of U.S. private sector aligning with global business to respond to global challenges, and provide solutions working through inclusive multilateralism
Please see here for the agenda with a list of confirmed speakers.