Position: Policy and Program Associate, Sustainability
Organization: United States Council for International Business
Reports to: Senior Vice President for Policy and Global Strategy
Office: New York City
THE OPPORTUNITY – About USCIB: Founded in 1945, USCIB promotes open markets, competitiveness and innovation, sustainable development and corporate responsibility, supported by international engagement and regulatory coherence. Its members include U.S.-based global companies and professional services firms from every sector of our economy, with operations in every region of the world. With a unique global network encompassing the International Chamber of Commerce, the International Organization of Employers and the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD, USCIB provides business views to policy makers and regulatory authorities worldwide, and works to facilitate international trade and investment. More at www.uscib.org
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Policy and Global Strategy (“SVP”), the Policy and Program Associate, Sustainability provides policy and program assistance on environment and climate change policy-related matters and advocacy. Also supports participation of USCIB at key United Nations meetings, notably CBD, UNFCCC and UNEA. Works with membership department to advance member engagement and development.
- Assist and work in collaboration with SVP in the following areas:
- USCIB Environment Committee and related Working Groups in the areas of climate change, environment, and SDGs.
- Policy developments and information source tracking of relevance at the UN, IGOs, BGOs U.S. government, USCIB global affiliates or other trusted sources.
- Preparation of materials for policy committee meetings, both virtual and in person – agendas, background materials, briefers, etc.); webinars; and organization of meeting notices/materials to committee members and coordination of e-mail responses of same.
- General and specific event planning.
- Maintain knowledge of issue areas to be used in liaising with members, providing written and presentation materials, and participating in internal strategy planning sessions.
- Manage integration of comments on policy statements and final papers, as needed.
- Assist SVP in drafting, proofreading and editing materials (e.g. outgoing e-mails, letters, newsletters, presentations, and other materials); arrange and attend staff meetings. Assist with management of documents and communications with USCIB international affiliates and international organizations.
- Support and attend, where needed, meetings and events relevant to policy committees and engagement strategy around NYC and Washington, DC; provide meeting notes to staff and members. Make contacts with members and potential members as necessary; provide assistance to membership department in recruiting and provision of member information.
- Support maintenance of relevant portions of the USCIB website as needed, relevant to Climate Change and Environment.
- Develop content for USCIB publications and social media outlets.
- Other projects/duties as assigned for the overall benefit of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience is required, or Masters in Environment/International Policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. UN foreign language skills desirable.
- General Interest and experience in international business policy issues or international relations required. Experience with international environmental policy and/or inter-governmental institutions preferred. Demonstrable appreciation for business and private sector considerations in international and multilateral policy negotiations.
- Must be pro-active, self-directed and be able to multi-task and prioritize, overseeing multiple projects. Detail-orientation is key and must have strong client-oriented interpersonal, administrative and organization skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems and other computer and web-based programs, including diverse forms of social media.
- The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience.
- Health, dental, vision, Rx, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays (and summer hours….2pm closings on Fridays).
- Matching 401(k).
Submit resume and cover note to email@example.com.