“Since its inception, the U.S. Coalition for TPP has advocated for a Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement that would increase U.S. export and economic opportunities, support American jobs, strengthen trade-enforcement tools, and advance security, stability, and prosperity throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
“The U.S. Coalition for TPP has considered the text and finds that it will advance U.S. global competitiveness in the region and set in place modernized rules for the benefit of many industries and their workers in the United States.
“A world with the Trans-Pacific Partnership will help expand the rule of law, transparency, and fairness in the region. It is an agreement that will serve to improve the lives of millions of people in the United States and its TPP partners. It will do so by encouraging competition and setting disciplines in government acts, policies, and practices among the 12 Pacific Rim members that will set an example to which other countries will aspire. As a leading force behind the TPP negotiation, the United States will have, once again, established its preeminent role as a world leader in promoting peace and a more secure future through prosperity that comes from a commitment to liberalized trade and investment.
“The U.S. Coalition for TPP supports the agreement as a significant step forward to a fairer and more-level economic playing field in the Pacific Rim. We also encourage the U.S. government to work with Congress and the 11 TPP partner countries to strengthen the agreement further, thereby expanding support for this important achievement.
“We encourage Congress to give the agreement timely consideration and ultimately support its passage.”
Below are nine specific TPP achievements that will create benefits for American workers, families, and businesses.
- Reduction of discriminatory tariffs and non-tariff barriers throughout the region, including the total elimination of 100 percent of tariffs on qualifying industrial goods and textiles exports
- Increase in market access for U.S. agriculture products, reduction of non-tariff barriers to agriculture trade, and expansion of sanitary and phytosanitary provisions
- New, binding commitments in e-commerce that promote digital trade, spur innovation for new goods and services, and implement strong consumer protections
- Stricter controls for state-owned enterprises (SOEs), including requirements that they make purchasing decisions based on quality and price, not favoritism
- Strong enforcement mechanisms, including trade sanctions, that ensure TPP countries comply with the new standards established by TPP
- New standards and a mechanism to promote good governance across the region by including anti-corruption rules, implementation of anti-bribery laws, and guarantees of due-process rights
- Provisions to streamline and simplify the movement and release of goods across borders and provide much-needed business predictability on the treatment of goods at the border
- Promotion of regulatory transparency and cooperation to help address barriers imposed by inconsistent regulatory regimes
- A first-of-its-kind commitment to help small and medium-sized businesses obtain greater opportunities out of trade agreements
About The Coalition
The U.S. Coalition for TPP is a broad-based and cross-sectoral group of U.S. companies and associations representing the principal sectors of the U.S. economy including agriculture, manufacturing, information and communications technologies, merchandising, processing, publishing, retailing and services.